I’m Leaving the Internet
Okay, now that I’ve gotten your attention, let me explain. The title is indeed true. I am leaving the Internet……but not forever, for approximately 6.5 weeks. I’ve chosen the Internet as my Lenten sacrifice this year.
Now this post is not a religious post. I don’t plan to go into detail about what Lent is or what my religious beliefs are and I don’t want to hear about what you think Lent is either. That’s a different topic for a different post.
I’ve told a handful of people about it and I usually get one of a few reactions.
2. “I couldn’t do it.”
3. ”Good luck.”
I’ve had a few other responses but those are the main ones.
Yes, this is quite a lofty goal I’m taking on especially for such a connected society we live in. Last year I gave up social media and with the exception of one or two slip ups, I stayed on the path. So after reading an article by Paul Miller at Verge, “I’m leave the internet for a year”, I decided I would pursue this goal come Lent time which begins February 13, Ash Wednesday.
So by giving up the Internet, what exactly does that mean you may ask? Well I’ll tell you.
1. No web surfing.
2. No e-mail.
3. No mobile apps that require the Internet. I will totally turning off mobile data on my phone so only voice calls are possible.
4. No streaming of any kind.
5. No uploading or downloading of any kind.
6. No watching anyone else surf the net or stream either.
7. No online banking or bill payments.
There will however be a couple of exceptions:
1. If it’s work related, such as researching an issue (last resort) or downloading software needed to solve a problem, then I will allow the Internet.
2. Blog posts will be composed offline but I will go online only to post them. I will not be reading or following up with any comments.
So there you have it..as of 11:59PM Tuesday night, I will be unplugged.
I’ll continue to let everyone know my weight loss progress at least once a week but if you want to keep up with my progress as far as being offline, click Marctagon™ Technologies here or in the menu bar at the top of the page.
You can always call me if you have the number.
Do you participate in Lent? If so, what are you sacrificing this year?